At midnight tonight, Suitable Tech’s CEO Scott Hassan unveiled the second version of their Remote Presence System – the Beam.
The Beam itself is not the System, since the collection of components (the Beam remote presence device, the Beam client app and the docking station) make up the entire system. engadget was given a preview which shows the device as Scott has “beam”ed into the Beam. See the video below:
Yes, Mr. Scott – we are happy to see Beaming work finally. The most notable differences in the Beam seem to be:
- 17″ screen – largest in class
- double wifi antennas for both 802.11g and 802.11a – to avoid connection drop out
- generous navigation camera – much bigger to see the area around the base
- “wider than normal camera field of view”
- client app that works natively on Windows and Mac
- microphone array to provide better directionality for whom is speaking
- eight hour battery life – handling life’s little chores
As we get more hands on with the Beam, we will give you a more detailed analysis of this device and its value for money compared to its competitors.
For now, We want to Beam!